Zia Laura’s Soup
This is a tasty treat whether you’re vegetarian not… and in the winter months is a great way to load up on nutrients to prevent a cold. So here’s my Zia Laura’s recipe for a delicious veggie soup.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion. chopped
- 2 leeks, white part only, root end trimmed, halved lengthwise, & cut into 1/2″ pieces
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium zucchini, grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 3 carrots, peeled & grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 (13 ounce) can whole plum tomatoes, drained of their juices & coarsely chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (or beef, if you prefer)
- 4 basil leaves, green or purple, plus 4 sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsely
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated or shaved in curls
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion & leeks and saute about 3 minutes, until soft & golden. Season with salt & pepper.
- Add the zucchini & carrots & sauté until softened, about 5 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, 4 basil leaves, & parsley & bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Serve with the grated Parmigiano on the side or garnished with the curls. Add a little purple basil for drama.