Torta di Limone
- 1 ½ sticks butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 large lemons, juiced (to make up ½ cup), the rind grated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, measured after being sifted.
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup of water
- ½ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees.
- Butter and flour a 9” bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition. Beat in the lemon peel.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, salt, and the baking powder.
- Fold in half the flour into the butter mixture, then fold in half of the milk. Fold in the remaining flour, then stir in the remaining milk.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make the sugar syrup: in a small saucepan, combine the water and the sugar. Stir over high heat until mixture boils. Let the mixture cool, then add the lemon juice.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool on a rack.
- While cake is still warm and in the pan, make holes with a toothpick. Slowly pour the syrup over the cake, making sure it is absorbed before another addition.
- Turn the cake out onto a serving platter.