Spinach Golosi with Cheese Sauce
Based on a classic Roman dish. Watch Donatella make it live on Facebook here.
- 3 ½ cups whole milk ricotta (Galbani Cheese)
- ¾ cup plus 1 tbsp “double zero” flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 -2 egg yolk
- flour for dusting
- spinach (1/2 cup)
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- garlic clove
- 1 qt. of heavy cream
- 1.5 qt. of caciocavallo cheese, shredded (or white cheddar)
- beechnut mushrooms
- Toasted breadcrumbs
- Truffle oil, for drizzling
TO MAKE THE GOLOSI
- Drain ricotta properly then put it in a stand mixer at medium speed with yolk, flour & salt, cheese and spinach.
- Mix until fully incorporated, about 3 or 4 minutes, be sure strands of egg yolk remain.
- Dust a little flour on surface & dust a little flour on top, roll into one log.
- Using a bench scraper, cut manageable piece & roll back & forth.
- Cut into ¾ inch worm & cut into one inch pillows.
- Freeze, keep frozen until ready to cook. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the golosi, stir gently to prevent them from sticking together.
- Cook until golosi rise to the surface, about 3-4 minutes.
TO MAKE THE SAUCE
- Combine cheese & cream in saucepot & melt on very low heat.
- Once melted strain & press out with ladle to remove graininess.
- In a pan, with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, add crushed garlic clove & then sear beechnut mushrooms.
- Remove from heat. Drain the olive oil, remove garlic & add fonduta then toss in gnudi & add freshly ground pepper, top with a drizzle of truffle oil & sprinkle with toasted breadcrumbs.