Slow Cooker Corned Beef with Cabbage
- 2 lbs. corned beef brisket
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 3 ½ cups water
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 8 oz. beer (alternatively use an additional 1 cup of water)
- 5 carrots cut into large pieces
- 1 lb. small red potatoes quartered
- 1 head green cabbage, cut into wedges
- ½ tsp. mustard seeds
- 8 Allspice berries
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Put the onion and garlic at the bottom of a slow cooker. Top with beef.
- In a small bowl, mix together the water, beer, sugar and vinegar. Pour mixture over the beef.
- In another small bowl, combine the mustard seeds, allspice berries, salt and pepper. Sprinkle mixture over the beef.
- Set slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- After 4 hours of cooking, add the potatoes and carrots.
- After 7 hours, add the cabbage to the slow cooker. Cover and continue to cook for another hour.
- Serve with grainy mustard and a good brown bread.