Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Try Donatella’s moist, fluffy, Red Velvet Cake made completely from scratch! A perfect dessert for Valentine’s Day!
- 2 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 ½ tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1½ cup sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 tbs. vanilla
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 cup buttermilk
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- ¾ cup butter, room temperature
- 4 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 2-3 tbs. milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter and flour 2, 8” cake pans.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer with a paddle attachment and the butter and beat until smooth, about 1 minute. Then add the sugar and beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Add the oil and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, making sure they are well incorporated before adding the next yolk. Then add the vanilla, food coloring and vinegar.
- Add the flour mixture in three additions alternating with the buttermilk, ending with the flour mixture. Do not over mix.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites until thick about 3 minutes. Fold into the cake batter.
- Pour the batter evenly into the two pans and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove and let cool before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a bowl of a standing mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter for 2 minutes. Add the confectioner’s sugar ¼ cup at a time for 3 minutes.
- Add the milk and the vanilla and beat for another 2 minutes, on high.
- Frost and decorate the cake as desired.