Braised Chestnuts with Lemon & Sage
(Serves 4 to 6)
- 14-16 ounces cooked and peeled chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons dark or light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large sprig fresh sage plus 10-15 extra sage leaves for garnish, optional
- 1 lemon, peel removed in long strands with a citrus stripper
- Canola oil for frying sage, optional
- Combine the chestnuts, butter, brown sugar, salt, sage sprig, and 1/3 cup of water in a large skillet.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook, uncovered, tossing frequently, until the water has evaporated, the butter begins to sizzle and the chestnuts begin to brown (5 to 8 minutes).
- Continue cooking, shaking the pan to toss the chestnuts back and forth, until they are nicely caramelized.
- Remove the sage sprig and, if you are not adding sage leaves for garnish, stir in the lemon zest and serve warm.
To fry whole sage leaves:
- Be sure the leaves are completely dry. Fry in 1/4 ” very hot oil just until crisp (1 to 2 minutes).
- Add the lemon zest to the pan and fry 30 seconds to 1 minute more. Scatter all over chestnuts.