- 2 cans of organic pumpkin puree
- 1 large apple (or 2 small)
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- 8 cups low sodium, vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 10-12 sage leaves
- 1 star anise
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 2 tbsp cinnamon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- cheese cloth
- freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and dice the apples, carrots, and onions. Add butter and olive oil to a large soup pot and sauté vegetables on a low simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add low-sodium broth, pumpkin puree, and freshly ground salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil for 20 minutes.
- Finely chop 4 sage leaves and add to the soup with grated nutmeg and cinnamon sugar. Wrap 7 or 8 whole sage leaves in a cheese cloth with pepper corns and star anise and drop into the soup. Allow to simmer for at least 1 hour.
- 1/2 hour into the simmer, take out spice bag and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- When you’re ready to eat, taste the pumpkin soup and add salt and pepper if necessary. Serve hot with crusty Italian bread.