Pecorino Fonduta with Lavender Honey
Try this easy, but show-stopping appetizer at your next dinner party. It’s the perfect conversation starter!
- 8 ounces young pecorino cheese (aged no more than 3 years), cut into small dice
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves plus a few sprigs for garnish
- 3 tbsp hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 12 slices rustic Italian bread
- 1 tsp lavender or other artisanal honey
- 1 tsp red-pepper flakes
- Kosher salt & fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the cheese, nuts, red-pepper flakes, & thyme leaves in a large bowl. Transfer to a 2-cup ovenproof dish & bake until the fonduta is golden brown on the top & cheese is fully melted.
- Meanwhile, using tongs, “grill” the bread slices on both sides over a gas flame or by placing the bread directly on the coils of an electric burning, taking care not to let them char.
- Place the warm cheese dish on a cutting board, drizzle with the honey, season with the salt & pepper, & garnish with the thyme sprigs. Surround with the grilled bread and serve.