Pan-Fried New Potatoes with Chorizo
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced
- 3-4 ounces cured chorizo, sliced about 1’3″ thick
- 1 pound small red potatoes, washed, dried, and sliced 1/8″ thick
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 fresh bay leaf or 2 dried
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh herbs, such as flat-leaf parsley, dill, or chives
- Heat the oil in 12″ skillet or saute pan with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat.
- Add the onion and chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until onion is wilted and slightly golden.
- Add the potatoes, garlic, thyme and bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat all the ingredients with the fat and seasonings.
- Spread in an even layer, cover the pan, and cook very gently for 30 to 35 minutes, turning the potatoes over with a spatula two or three times.
- When the potatoes are fork-tender but not falling apart, remove the remains of the thyme sprigs and the bay leaf.
- Sprinkle the chopped herbs all over and serve hot.