Mini Coconut Cream Pies
Check out this super fun recipe for Mini Coconut Cream Pies with a double dosing of shredded coconut, because coconut is Donatella’s favorite.
- 1 package Sweet Dinner Rolls
- 1, 12 oz container of white frosting
- ½ package sweetened coconut flakes and additional ¾ cup for sprinkling
- 1, 8 oz. can of coconut milk
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 tbs. cornstarch
- 3 tbs. unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium pot, heat the coconut milk and almond extract until it reaches a simmer.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch.
- Whisk the coconut milk into the cornstarch and egg mixture. Return the mixture to the pot and whisk over medium-high heat until custard thickens and is glossy, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and add the butter and half the package of coconut flakes and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Put the remaining coconut flakes on a baking sheet and bake until just beginning to brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Split the rolls in half. Spread some of the frosting on the roll.
- Fill the bottom of the roll with 2 tbs. of the coconut custard.
- Place the top of the roll over the custard and sprinkle the roll with the toasted coconut.
- Refrigerate if not serving right away.