The only Lasagna recipe you’ll need for the holidays! Try Donatella’s Italian family recipe for traditional Lasagna Bolognese.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter, plus 1 tbsp for buttering the pan
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely minced
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 ½ lb ground veal
- 1 lb ground pork
- ½ lb ground beef
- 4 oz pancetta, chopped
- 1 8-oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup water
- 6 tbsp flour
- 3 cups heated milk
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, plus ¼ cup for finishing
- 1 lb lasagna noodles
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the bolognaise sauce, start by placing olive oil & 4 tbsp of butter in a saucepan at medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery & garlic. Sauté until translucent & then add the meat.
- Next incorporate the wine & cook for 2 minutes. Then add 1 cup of milk, tomato paste & 1 cup of water. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Cook for 1 ½ hours over medium heat.
- For the béchamel, melt the remaining butter in another saucepan. Add flour & cook for 5 minutes. Next add hot milk, one cup at a time, while whisking constantly. Cook until the mixture thickens. Season with nutmeg, salt & pepper, finishing with 1 cup of parmesan cheese.
- To assemble, butter a lasagna pan & layer ¼ béchamel sauce on bottom of the pan. Top béchamel with a layer of lasagna noodles. Layer on the noodles 1/3 bolognaise & 1/3 of the remaining béchamel sauce.
- Repeat the order of ingredients until you have 3 layers. Sprinkle top layer with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 45 minutes. Let lasagna sit for 20 minutes before serving.