In Donatella Arpaia’s Italian family, Braciole was served as a dish for special occasions and #holidays. Try this recipe for a very delicious, Holiday Braciole.
- 1.5 lb flank steak, pounded as thin as possible
- ¾ cup Italian-flavored breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 3 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup toasted pinoli nuts
- Freshly ground salt & pepper
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cans 14.5 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1cup red wine
- A few fresh leaves of basil (to finish)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Place breadcrumbs, cheese, 2 tbsp. garlic, fresh parsley & pine nuts in a bowl. Mix well with 1 tbsp. olive oil & 2 tbsp. of water.
- Lay the flank steak on a flat surface and spread the meat, season both sides generously with salt & pepper. Start at the short end of each steak and roll tightly. Use kitchen twine to tie rolled up steak in one inch intervals.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a sauté pan at medium-high heat. Brown the braciole in pan & brown on all sides. Remove from the pan to let rest.
- Add remaining garlic & olive oil to pan. Sautee until garlic begins to turn golden. Add tomatoes, dried oregano, wine, salt & pepper to pan. Bring to boil.
- Take the pan off the heat & put into the oven. Cook for approximately 3 hours. To finish add a few leaves of fresh basil.