- 1 small shallot, very finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsps. White wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps. extra-virgin white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small head red or green leaf lettuce, or Lollo Rosso, washed and dried
- 5 ounces baby romaine, spring, or mesclun mix
- 4-6 long fresh chives
- Small bouquet of fresh soft herbs such as dill, Italian parsley, chervil, and /or additional chives and edible flowers for garnish
- Whisk the shallot, mustard, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and plenty of pepper together in a medium bowl
- Separate 4 to 6 medium canoe-shaped leaves of the leaf lettuce to serve as wraps for the salads
- Add the baby romaine mix to the dressing and toss to coat thoroughly. Place a spoonful of the greens in each lettuce “canoe” and belt it with a long chive tied in a knot on top
- Form Place the bouquet of fresh herbs on the table in a small vase and invite guests to garnish their salads as they wish or snip the herbs onto their salads for them at the table.
- Place burger on bun and top with caramelized onions.