Grilled Eggplant “Pugliese Style”
*The success of this recipes is in cutting the eggplant as thin as possible but not to thin that it will tear on the grill and really getting a good char.
The longer the eggplant sits the tastier it becomes. Serve with rustic grilled Italian bread!
(Makes 16 knots)
- 4 graffiti or Japanese eggplant (sliced ½ inch diameter preferably thinner if possible)
- ¼ cup EVOO
- 3 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 4-5 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 8-10 mint leaves
- In a small bowl pour about ¼ cup of the best extra virgin olive oil you have, add aged balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and 4 cloves of roughly chopped garlic, whisk and let sit while you grill the eggplant.
- Put the grill on to medium-high heat. Depending on the shape of eggplant you get either cut them lengthwise of horizontally. Lightly oil grill. Lightly oil eggplant and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place eggplant directly on the grill on medium-high. Once nice grill until marks develops – flip and grill on other side. Approximately 2 minutes each side or a little longer if you like more char the way I do!
- Next get a platter that has a little depth to it and pour olive oil mixture on to a plate. Gently place grilled eggplant on platter generously sprinkly mint and gently toss, until eggplant is completely incorporated with the mixture. Cover with saran wrap and let it sit at room temperature minimum one hour before serving.