Farinata with Fontina and Rosemary
Farinata with Fontina and Rosemary is a deliciously addictive savory pancake Donatella learned from fellow a Iron Chef America judge.
- 2/3 cup chickpea flour (also known as garbanzo bean flour)
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Needles from a small sprig of fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 oz fontina cheese and/or prosciutto, cut into slivers
- Combine the flour with 3/4 cup water in a bowl & use a metal whisk until it is smooth. Whisk in the sea salt & 2 tbsp of the olive oil. Let sit at room temperature for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Swirl the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil in an 11″ cast-iron or ovenproof nonstick skillet. Place in the hot oven for 10 minutes.
- Pour all of the butter into the hot pan & swirl so that the batter reaches up the pan by 1/4″. Scatter the rosemary on the surface & bake for 15 minutes, or until the lacy edges begin to darken & the underside is golden.
- Immediately sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt & plenty of pepper. Slide the pancake onto a cutting board. Top with the fontina and/or proscuitto, cut into eighths, & serve hot.