Baked Buffalo Ricotta
It’s essential that you use high-quality fresh ricotta. Preferably buffalo ricotta; if you can’t get it, go for sheep’s milk ricotta.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz fresh buffalo or sheep’s milk ricotta
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- Fresh oregano leaves
- Fleur de sel and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8-12 slices rustic Italian bread
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil onto the center a 8″x11″ sheet of foil & spread it all over with your fingers. Spoon the ricotta onto the center, spreading it into a small square. Arrange the cherry tomatoes on top, followed by the oregano. Season with the salt & pepper.
- Oil a second 8″x11″ sheet of foil & place over the ricotta. Fold the foil into a packet, leaving about 1/4″ border around the cheese. Remember, you’ll be serving directly from the packet, so neatness counts!
- Place on a baking sheet & bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until piping hot throughout.
- Meanwhile, using tongs, “grill” the bread slices on both sides over a gas flame or by placing the bread directly on the coils of an electric burner, taking care not to let them char.
- To serve, use the tip of knife to cut an “X” into the top of the packet & fold back the points to reveal the cheese. Place on a wooden cutting board & serve with the grilled bread.