Asparagus & Artichoke Pie
While artichokes and asparagus are in season make Donatella’s savory Asparagus & Artichoke Pie.
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold (cut into small pieces)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 5-6 tbs. ice water
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus
- 1 box frozen artichokes defrosted and cut in half
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 tbs. olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup grated cheese (Parmesan or Pecorino)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tbs. tarragon, chopped
- 4 oz. goat cheese (optional)
- Place flour in a food processor, followed by butter and salt.
- Process until consistency is similar to coarse sand. Add ice water one tbs. at a time. Process until ball starts to form. Do not over process.
- Roll dough into ball shape, wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough on floured surface to 10” diameter.
- Fit into 9” pie pan, let extra pastry hang over, refrigerate until filling is ready.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place cut asparagus in a pot of boiling salted water and blanch for 2 minutes.
- Drain asparagus and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan.
- Add shallots and cook over low heat until softened.
- Add asparagus and artichokes and cook for 5 minutes
- Add wine to asparagus and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- In a bowl beat eggs with cheese and mix in salt, pepper and herbs.
- Add artichokes and asparagus to egg mixture.
- Put into prepared pie tin. Add crumbled goat cheese (optional).
- Fold pastry over filling and brush with egg wash (egg yolk mixed with 1 tbs. water).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.