Affogato with Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
Affogato is one of my favorite desserts, and Keurig Rivo reminded me how much I love it! It starts with one scoop of vanilla gelato that’s “drowned” in fresh, hot espresso. The rich bitterness of the espresso swirls deliciously with the sweet creamy ice cream. I like to serve affogato with home-made biscotti for dipping, and chocolate hazelnut is the perfect flavor combination!
- 8 oz sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp coffee extract
- 1 oz espresso
- 10 oz all purpose flour
- 3 oz Dutch cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5 oz toasted chopped hazelnuts
- 5 oz 66% bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In a mixer fitted with the whip attachment, whip together eggs, sugar, coffee extract and espresso until light and doubled in volume.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda in a bowl.
- Switch to paddle attachment and mix on medium speed. Add in dry ingredients, chopped hazelnuts, and chocolate.
- Divide dough into two portions and roll out until each half is about 2” thick.
- Place logs on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Lower oven temperature to 300°. Slice biscotti logs into ¼ inch slices and lay out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for another 10 minutes or until dry to the touch.
Recipe Prepared with Keurig Rivo Intenso Espresso
Photo Credit: Nialla Photos, Inc.