Strawberry Shortcake Recipe (Makes 8 shortcakes)
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 hard-boiled egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, cold
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled & quartered.
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar; plus more for dusting.
- Place the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse with the egg yolks until they are broken up.
- Add in the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add in lemon zest -and cream and pulse just until mixture forms a ball.
- Wrap up the shortcake dough into a disk with plastic wrap and chill 2 hours (or overnight)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a floured surface, press dough into a 1” thickness and Using a 2 ½ inch cutter cut out shortcakes. Re-roll scraps and cut out remaining shortcakes.
- Place shortcakes cut side up on a parchment lined baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes before baking.When ready, place the shortcakes in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and baked through. Allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk heavy cream and confectioner’s sugar together until stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Up to an hour before serving, toss the strawberries, sugar, balsamic and vinegar.
- To assemble: Slice shortcakes in half. Spoon strawberry mixture onto shortcake bottom and top with a generous dollop of whipped cream. Top withs top half of shortcake and dust with confectioners sugar.