I love cupcakes, but often find what’s on the market too dry and sweet with not enough flavor. That’s why I developed my Bling Cupcakes on HSN, which debut in red velvet, vanilla salted caramel, and chocolate marshmallow. One flavor that I hope to sell on HSN soon is Sicilian Pistachio! Until then, here’s the recipe. Don’t forget to share pictures of your cupcakes with me on Facebook and twitter!
Sicilian Pistachio Cupcakes
(yield 24 cupcakes)
- 2 ¼ cup cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 tbsp pure pistachio paste
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line two cupcake pans with liners.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the bowl and bring it back to medium speed. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down between each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- Turn the mixer on again and alternate the dry mixture with the sour cream/pistachio paste. Add one third of the dry ingredients, waiting until it has been incorporated and then add one third of the sour cream/pistachio paste.
- Divide batter among cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Sicilian Pistachio Buttercream
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tbsp pure pistachio paste
- 1 cup pistachios, chopped and toasted
- Bring a medium pot filled with water to a simmer. Combine sugar and egg whites in a stainless steel bowl and set it on top of the pot with simmering water, whisking until the mixture reached 120 degrees or sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and begin to whip in a stand mixer on medium speed until mixture cools and thickens and becomes opaque and reaches stiff peaks.
- Add in butter a few tablespoons at a time, waiting for the butter to be incorporated before adding the next addition.
- Add in Pistachio paste and whip until combined.
- Using a spatula or piping bag, apply frosting to cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with chopped pistachios