(Yields 4 to 6 servings)
- 4 medium zucchini, finely diced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Combine the zucchini, eggs, parsley, Parmigiano, and extra-virgin olive oil and stir until the zucchini is coated. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add ¾ cup of the flour just a sprinkle at a time and stir. Continue adding until the mix is the consistency of pancake batter, add more if the zucchini is very wet.
- Fill a large, heavy-bottomed pan with 1/4″ olive oil. Heat over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, spoon the zucchini mixture into the pan in 2-tablespoon mounds. The fritters should be three-quarters submerged in the oil. If bits of zucchini stray, scoop them up and return them to the fritters.
- Reduce the heat slightly and fry until golden brown, turning once, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Allow the oil to return to medium heat before proceeding with the next batch.
- Serve the fritters on a parchment-lined tray. The leftover fritters will keep, covered and refrigerated, up to 2 days. Reheat, wrapped in foil, in a low oven.