Yellowtail alla Plancha
- 4 dried figs, stems removed
- ¼ cup white or red wine or vermouth
- 12 ramps or young scallions, root ends trimmed
- 2 tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1¼ lbs. yellowtail or red snapper fillets
- 1 Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsps. fig balsamic vinegar or vincotto
- Cut the figs into ¼ dice and place in a small bowl with the wine. Set aside to soak
- Cut away any dried or broken ends of scallion leaves; cut off 2” of the white parts, reserving both parts.
- Warm the oil in a skillet over low heat and add the bulbs
- Cover and sauté, shaking the pan, until golden and slightly tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the greens, reduce the heat to low, and cook, covered, shaking the pan occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes
- Heat a cast-iron stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat. Season both sides of the fillets with salt and pepper.
- Grill skin side down for 4 to 5 minutes without moving; turning over and grill for 4 to 5 minutes more, until opaque in the center
- Drain the figs.
- Serve the fish topped with some of the diced figs, the scallions, and a generous drizzle of fig balsamic vinegar or vincotto.