Winter White Salad
(Serves 4 to 6)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, halved, cored, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 endives, root ends trimmed and leaves separated
- 3 long pieces hearts of palm, from a can or jar, halved crosswise and cut into matchsticks
- 6 ounces white mushrooms, brushed clean and sliced
- 3 ounces imported Parmigiano-Reggiano or Grana Padano
- Chill 4 to 6 plates
- Whisk together the olive oils, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and a generous grinding of pepper in a small bowl.
- Gently toss the fennel, endives, hearts of palm, and mushrooms with the vinaigrette in a small bowl until evenly coated.
- Transfer to the chilled plates and, using a vegetable peeler, shave several curls of Parmigiano over the top of each salad.
- Serve immediately.