Wild Mushroom Ragu over Crispy Polenta
Holiday entertaining just got more delicious with the perfect appetizer, wild mushroom ragu over crispy polenta.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 ¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 1 cup grated comte cheese
- 6 tbs. butter
- 4 tbs. olive oil
- 2 lbs. assorted mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 shallots minced
- 2/3 cup crème fraiche
- 1 tbs. truffle oil
- 1/3 cup parsley finely chopped
- Butter a 13x9x1 inch baking sheet pan.
- In a medium saucepan add milk and 2 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Gradually add the polenta, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Reduce heat and cook until the polenta is very thick.
- Remove from heat and add ½ cup of comte cheese. Season with salt & pepper.
- Spread the polenta evenly on the baking sheet pan. Chill until firm, approximately 3 hours.
- Cut the polenta into squares.
- Melt 2 tbs. butter and 2 tbs. olive oil in a sauté pan, add mushrooms and sauté until browned. Add the shallots and sauté another minute, season with salt and pepper. Add ¼ cup of chicken broth and heat for 2 minutes. Stir in the crème fraiche, truffle oil and parsley.
- In another large sauté pan, heat the remaining olive oil. Add polenta squares to the pan and cook until golden brown on each side. Remove from pan and repeat with remaining polenta squares.
- Arrange polenta squares on a platter and top each with 1 tbs. mushroom mixture and sprinkle with comte cheese and serve.