(Serves 12, individual or 9×13 dish)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups mascarpone, room temperature
- 12 egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. honey
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup espresso
- ½ cup Kahlua
- 1 package ladyfingers
- In stand mixer fitted with whip attachment, whip heavy cream until it reaches soft peaks. Fold into mascarpone and set aside.
- In small pot set over medium heat, combine sugar, honey and water and bring the mixture to 260°.
- In stand mixer while syrup is simmering, begin to whip egg yolks until pale yellow and doubled in volume.
- Slowly stream in hot syrup down the side of the whipping egg yolks, being careful not to splatter. Once syrup had been incorporated, continue to whip until mixture has cooled.
- Fold into mascarpone and cream mixture.
- Combine espresso and liqueur. Break ladyfingers in half and dip into espresso mixture for a few seconds. Place into dish(es), repeating until you have an even layer.
- Spoon half of mascarpone mousse mixture over ladyfingers. Follow with another layer of espresso soaked ladyfingers and top with remaining mousse.
- Chill for several hours and dust with cocoa powder before serving.