Spoon the mixture into the peppers and top with the remaining salami, oregano, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and breadcrumbs.
- ¼ cup olive oil (more for oil the pan)
- 6 red peppers, cut in half, seeded & ribbed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ¼ lb salami, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup prosciutto, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup flavored breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp basil or parsley, chopped
- ¾ cup provolone, finely diced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2/3 cup Parmagiano Reggiano
- 2 cups marinara sauce, homemade or store bought
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Oil the bottom of a baking pan with a few teaspoons of olive oil. Fit peppers in pan, cut side up.
- Sauté onions in remaining oil over medium heat until translucent. Cool onions in a bowl.
- Combine salami, prosciutto, breadcrumbs, herbs & parmigiano reggiano in a bowl with tomato paste. Fill peppers with the stuffing mixture & top with the diced provolone cheese.
- Ladle marinara sauce over & around the peppers. Bake for 50 minutes, checking often to baste with additional sauce as necessary. (Note: Add
- chicken broth or water to pan if necessary).
- Enjoy hot or at room temperature.