- 1 2/3c all purpose flour
- 1/4c sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 hard-boiled egg yolks
- pinch salt
- 6Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
- 1Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2c + 3Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4c confectioner’s sugar, plus more for dusting.
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and quartered.
- 3Tbsp sugar
- 2tsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 1tsp lemon juice
- Place the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse with the egg yolks until they are broken up.
- Add in the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add in lemon zest -and cream and pulse just until mixture forms a ball.
- Wrap up the shortcake dough into a disk with plastic wrap and chill 2 hours (or overnight)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- On a floured surface, press dough into a 1” thickness and Using a 2 ½ inch cutter cut out shortcakes. Re-roll scraps and cut out remaining shortcakes.
- Place shortcakes cut side up on a parchment lined baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes before baking.
- When ready, place the shortcakes in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and baked through. Allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk heavy cream and confectioner’s sugar together until stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Up to an hour before serving, toss the strawberries, sugar, balsamic and vinegar.
- Slice shortcakes in half. Spoon strawberry mixture onto shortcake bottom and top with a generous dollop of whipped cream. Top withs top half of shortcake and dust with confectioners sugar.