Spooky Poached Pears
- 2 cups sweet white wine
- 3 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4 pears, peeled and cored with stems attached (Bosc or Bartlett)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 16 raisins
- Bring wine, water, spices, vanilla & lemon zest to a simmer over medium-high heat in a saucepan. Add pears & poach pears for 10 – 15 minutes or until tender.
- Remove pears with a slotted spoon & set aside.
- Add sugar to the poaching liquid. Return to a simmer & reduce by half, about 10 minutes. Strain poaching liquid in a bowl, discarding spices.
- Cut pears in half and place on a cutting board with the stem side facing down. Next, cut out eyes & mouth for the pears. Make sure that you do not cut all the way through.
- Place raisins in the eye sockets & serve two pear halves in a dish over the reduced poaching liquid.