Slow-cooked Giant Braciole
- 5 lb flank steak, pounded as thin as possible
- ¾ cup Italian-flavored breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup toasted pinoli nuts
- Freshly ground salt & pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cans 14.5 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 cup red wine
- A few fresh leaves of basil (to finish)
- Pound flank steak to flatten and set aside.
- Place breadcrumbs, cheese, 2 tbsp garlic, fresh parsley & pine nuts in a bowl. Mix well with 1 tbsp olive oil & 2 tbsp of water.
- Lay flank steak on a flat surface and season both sides generously with salt & pepper. Start at the short end of each steak and roll tightly. Use kitchen twine to tie rolled up steak in one inch intervals.
- Turn on slow cooker at low setting. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a sauté pan at medium-high heat. Brown the braciole in pan & brown on all sides. Remove from the pan to let rest.
- Add remaining garlic & olive oil to pan. Sautee until garlic begins to turn golden. Add tomatoes, dried oregano, wine, salt & pepper to pan. Bring to boil.
- Take the pan off the heat & pour mixture into the slow cooker. Add braciole & let cook for 6 hours. To finish add a few leaves of fresh basil.