Sausage & Peppers Hot Dog
- 4 Donatella Sausages (mild or hot)
- 4 tbs. olive oil
- 2 yellow peppers seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large red onions thinly sliced
- 5 basil leaves
- ¼ Marsala wine
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- King’s Hawaiian Hawaiian Sweet Hot Dog Buns
- 2 sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- Cold water (as needed)
- Vegetable oil
- ¼- ½ cup cornstarch
- Heat grill to medium high heat, add sausage and cook several minutes, turning often, allowing it to brown. Continue cooking sausage for 20 minutes.
- Remove sausage and plate.
- In a non stick skillet heat 2 tbsp. olive oil add peppers, onions, and garlic. Toss to coat with oil and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add Marsala wine and let wine cook down (about 2 minutes).
- Add basil and red pepper flakes, cook for 1 minute. Add sausages.
- Place King’s Hawaiian Hawaiian Sweet Hot Dog Buns on grill for 20 seconds on each side add sausage and top with the pepper and onion mixture, grated cheddar cheese & fried onions.
- In a bowl, combine the onions and enough cold water to cover, soak for 10 minutes.
- In a large pot, pour enough oil to fill the pan ⅓ of the way. Heat until a thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 365°.
- Put cornstarch in a shallow pan.
- Remove onions from water, drain and pat dry.
- Coat onions lightly with cornstarch.
- Shake off excess cornstartch and in batches add onions to hot oil.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Transfer the onions from oil to a paper towel lined tray.
- Season with salt and pepper.