Portobello Turkey ‘Umami’ Burger
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 8 oz. baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium shallot- finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tbs. chopped fresh dill
- 1 ½ tbsp. whole grain mustard
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 6 slices Gruyere
- Caramelized onions
- King’s Hawaiian Hawaiian Sweet Hamburger Buns
- 2-4 yellow onions thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. butter and 1 tbs. olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Heat olive oil in pan at medium high heat.
- Add shallots, garlic and mushrooms, cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Place in a bowl and add bread crumbs. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Add ground turkey, egg, dill, mustard, salt and pepper to the mushroom mixture and mix well until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Form the mixture into 6 patties (1/2 inch thick)
- Brush the patties generously with olive oil and cook patties for 5 minutes per side, on a grill at medium heat or in a nonstick grill pan.
- Top each patty with 2 tbsp. of shredded Gruyere cheese and cook for an additional minute.
- Lightly brush King’s Hawaiian Hawaiian Sweet Hamburger Buns with olive oil and grill 20 seconds on each side.
- Place burger on bun and top with caramelized onions.
- Melt butter and oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onions to pan and stir to coat onions with butter and oil.
- Cook for 30 – 40 minutes until onions are a deep brown. Stirring every 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once onions are cooked add balsamic vinegar and cook for another 3 minutes and salt to taste.