Oven Baked French Toast with Cranberry Compote
- butter for greasing
- brioche bread or leftover panettone
- 8 whole eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup whipping (heavy) cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces, plus more for serving
- 3 cups of cranberries
- I cup of orange juice
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pour it together and let it simmer until cranberries are soft and begin to burst about 7 minutes
- Grease the baking pan with butter. Cut brioche bread or Panettone in 1 inch slices and evenly distribute in the pan.
- Crack the eggs in a big bowl. Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla and lemon.
- Pour evenly over the bread. Cover the pan tightly and store in the fridge until needed (min I hour).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove from fridge and sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg sugar and pieces of cut butter . Bake for 45 minutes for a softer, more bread pudding texture or for 1 hour or more for a firmer, crisper texture.
- Top with cranberry compote and drizzle with warm maple syrup.