Homemade Chicken Soup
- 1 whole chicken
- 8 – 10 cups water (enough to cover chicken)
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 2 large onions
- 2 kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and diced
- 4 medium carrots, cut into1-inch pieces
- parsley, for sprinkling
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- Bring chicken and water to a boil in a large stockpot. Add carrots, onions, celery, garlic and kohlrabi. Simmer, partially covered, for 1 ½ hours. As the soup cooks, skim foam that rises to the surface and discard.
- Remove carrots, celery and kohlrabi and reserve.
- Remove the chicken, place onto a cutting board and chop into small pieces.
- Strain the chicken stock through a fine sieve into another pot and stir in desired amount of chicken. Add the vegetables back into the soup. Season the soup with salt and pepper and sprinkle with chopped parsley.