Gorgonzola Dolce, Bacon and Onion Crostini
Entertaining guests this weekend? Try one of Donatella’s favorite easy-to-make appetizers, Gorgonzola Dolce, Bacon And Onion Crostini.
- 8 oz. Gorgonzola dolce, at room temperature
- 1 small head frisee, trimmed to the yellow leaves
- ¼ lb. smoke bacon, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Simple Crostini
- 2 tsps. Fresh thyme leaves
- Beat the Gorgonzola using an electric mixer until it is light and fluffy. Set aside
- Place the frisee in a heatproof bowl and set aside
- Cook the bacon over medium heat just until most of the fat is rendered. Do not overcook.
- Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon. Add the onion to the fat in the pan and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until it begins to caramelize.
- Add the vinegar and cook, scraping up the bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon, until the vinegar evaporates.
- Pour the mixture over the frisee, add the bacon, and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Arrange the Crostini on a platter.
- Spread a thin layer of the cheese on each. Top with the bacon-frisee mixture, garnish with the thymes leaves, and serve