Garlic Soup with Swirled Beets
Try Donatella’s Beet and Roasted Garlic Soup for a healthy and full of antioxidants, warming dish, which will leave you wanting another bowl!
- 2 russet (baking) potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large beet, scrubbed, peeled, and cut in 1/4″-thick slices
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- Cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- Torn mint for garnish
- Put the potatoes in a small pot and add water to cover them by 1″. Salt the water, cover, and cook over high heat 20 to 25 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan fitted with a steamer insert, steam the beets over simmering water until not quite tender, about 14 minutes. Cut into small dice.
- Remove the potatoes from the pot with a slotted spoon and reserve the cooking water. Push the potatoes through a ricer or food mill fitted with the largest disk into a saucepan and set aside.
- Puree the garlic and vinegar in a small food processor until very smooth. Stir in the potatoes and add the olive oil, slat and plenty of pepper.
- Add just enough of the reserved cooking water (1/4 to 1/2 cup) to create an applesauce-like consistency.
- Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat. Pour into a large heatproof pitcher.
- To serve, spoon some diced beets into each soup bowl. Pour the hot soup over and garnish with mint.