Donatella’s Simple Marinara
Chef tip: For a spicy Arrabbiata sauce, add red pepper flakes to taste.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 medium onion, diced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 (28-ounce) cans whole, peeled, tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme,
- 1 small bunch fresh basil, leaves chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and garlic, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with about half of their juices (discarding the rest), the herb sprigs and basil and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for about 25 to 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove and discard the herb sprigs. Stir in the salt and season with pepper, to taste. Serve or store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.