Donatella’s Homemade Pizza Dough
- 2 ¾ tsp. fresh yeast or active dry yeast
- 4⅛ cups fresh water
- 2¾ tbsp. sea salt
- 12 ⅓ cups type “00” flour
- Oil, for greasing
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let stand until the yeast is creamy, about 1 minute. Stir until the yeast dissolves. In a large bowl add the sea salt, then the yeast mixture and the flour; stir until a soft dough forms.
- Transfer the dough ball to a lightly floured surface and knead, adding more flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Lightly coat another large bowl with oil. Place the dough in the bowl, turning it to oil the top. Cover with plastic wrap and store someplace warm; let rise until it doubles in size, about 6 hours.
- Cut the dough into 9-ounce pieces and shape the pieces into balls. Place the balls on a nonstick surface or parchment paper, and then cover with plastic wrap, allowing room for the dough to expand. Let the dough rise until doubled, 8 to 12 hours.
- Rest the dough in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours. Your homemade dough is now ready to be baked.