Crème Brulee French Toast
We’ve all heard of breakfast for dinner, and this is another exception. Make Donatella’s Crème Brulee French toast and you’ll have an excuse to eat dessert for dinner!
- 1stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbs. white sugar
- 2 tbs. corn syrup
- 1 loaf brioche, challah or any rich egg bread.
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. Grand Marnier
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- pinch of salt
- In a small heavy saucepan melt the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup. Stir until smooth over medium high heat. Then distribute mixture into individual ramekins.
- Cut the bread into cubes and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, half and half, heavy cream, vanilla, orange zest, Grand Marnier and salt until well combined. Add bread to the mixture and submerge. Allow mixture to sit for 15 minutes.
- Pour mixture into individual ramekins, cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove bread from refrigerator and allow it to sit until it reaches room temperature.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Sprinkle 2 tbs. white sugar over each ramekin.
- Using a blow torch caramelize sugar. Alternatively, place under a broiler for 2-3 minutes until sugar crystalizes.