- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste or 3 anchovy fillets
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds fresh veggies such as radishes, fennel chunks, endive pears, & real baby carrots.
- Melt the olive oil & butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic & cook for 2 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the anchovy paste, reduce the heat to low, & cook for 5 minutes (using a fork to mash the anchovy fillets, if using, into a paste).
- Add lemon juice & salt & pepper to taste & cook a few minutes more.
- Pour into an earthenware pot or flameproof casserole. Set the pot over a butter
- warmer or tea candle to keep warm.
- Arrange the vegetables in individual containers set on a tray around the Bagna Cauda & serve.
Avoid precut vegetables for this recipe. They might save time but they’re more expensive and less fresh. Check out your local farmer’s market for fresh and unusual vegetable varieties.