Arancini di Roso
(Makes 20 Balls)
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tbs. tomato puree
- ½ tsp. salt 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, or pecorino cheese
- 4 ounces diced mozzarella
- 2 cups of baby peas, optional
- Fine dried breadcrumbs
- Oil, for deep frying
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the rice until tender, 12-15 minutes.
- Drain well, put the rice in a mixing bowl and allow to cool.
- Stir in the eggs, then the salt, pepper, and grated cheese. Add the peas (optional). Refrigerate until cold.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Keeping hands moist, use a tbs. to scoop rice. Place rice in the palm of your hand, make an indentation and place a piece of mozzarella in the center. Take another tbs. of rice, cover the cheese and roll the rice into a ball shape.
- Roll the balls of rice in the breadcrumbs to coat.
- Pour enough oil into a heavy large saucepan so that the rice balls can be submerged. Heat the oil over medium heat to 375°. Fry the balls 5 at a time for about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle warm rice balls with extra grated cheese and serve with a simple marinara sauce.