(Serves 8 to 10)
- 25-30 amaretti cookies
- ½ pound semisweet chocolate or bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 10” round cake pan.
- Combine ½ cup of amaretti cookies in a food processor until the mixture turns into a powder.
- In a bowl over simmering water, place chocolate and butter and allow it to melt.
- Using an electric mixer and a large bowl, whip egg yolks. Add sugar (reserve 2 tbsp.) and whip until pale yellow and ribbons form.
- Slowly whisk the chocolate into egg yolk mixture and stir in the amaretti powder.
- Using a clean whisk, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add 2 tbsp. sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Stir ¼ of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Gently fold the remaining egg whites into mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes. Then turn the cake out onto a cake plate and continue to cool until room temperature. Sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar.