PECORINO SCONES :
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp granulated sugar
- 1tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
WHITE WINE ZABAGLIONE:
- 6 egg yolks
- ¼ c white wine
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
EGGS BENEDICT :
- 12 eggs
- 2 tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 6 slices mortadella
- salt & pepper to taste
Prepare the Scones:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the all your dry ingredients. Pour in the heavy cream and with a spatula mix until the dough forms a bowl.
- Transfer dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for a minute or two until dough is smooth.
- Roll dough to 1” thickness and cut out 6 scones (with a 2” round cutter)
- Arrange scones on a baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Set a pot of simmering water over medium heat. In a stainless steel bowl, whisk together the yolks, water, lemon juice, wine and salt. Continue to whisk as you set the bowl on top of the pot of simmering water.
- When the mixture thickens and holds the lines of the whisk, remove from the heat and whisk in the butter until emulsified. Set aside.
Assembling the Eggs Benedict:
- Split your warm scones in half and arrange them on a baking tray.
- Using a grill pan or nonstick pan, lightly grill the mortadella slices. Split them in half and arrange them on each of your scones.
- Add vinegar to the same pot of simmering water. With a spatula or spoon stir the water to create a whirl pool.
- Crack your egg into a small cup or ramekin and gently slide it into the pot of simmering water. After a few minutes when the egg is set but still wobbly, retrieve it with a slotted spoon.
- Layer eggs and mortadella atop your scones and drizzle zabaglione over the tops. Season with salt and pepper
- Working 2 at a time, repeat the process for the rest of your eggs.