• Melt the olive oil & butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
• Add the garlic & cook for 2 minutes, or until softened.
• Add the anchovy paste, reduce the heat to low, & cook for 5 minutes (using a
fork to mash the anchovy fillets, if using, into a paste).
• Add lemon juice & salt & pepper to taste & cook a few minutes more.
• Pour into an earthenware pot or flameproof casserole. Set the pot over a butter
warmer or tea candle to keep warm.
• Arrange the vegetables in individual containers set on a tray around the Bagna Cauda & serve.